The Conservation & Heritage Service lies within the Leisure Services Department of Craigavon Borough Council. The service is based at two sites on the Oxford Island National Nature Reserve, these being the Lough Neagh Discovery Centre and Waterside House. We work across a wide range of areas contributing to the protection and enhancement of the natural environment of the Craigavon area, the local history and heritage and we manage the Lough Neagh Discovery Centre for the enjoyment of local people and visitors from much further afield.
We contribute to the management of the following areas:
- Oxford Island National Nature Reserve
- Slantry Wood Local Nature Reserve
- Silverwood Meadows
- City Parks Local Nature Reserve
- Annagh Meadows
- Kernan Meadows
- Legahory and Tahnevan
We also carry out a variety of survey work, Action for Biodiversity INTERREG IVA Project and a range of other Biodiversity Projects.
The interpretive team is responsible for:
- An extensive education programme based at Oxford Island and throughout the Borough of Craigavon.
- Developing and delivering an extensive programme of events and activities.
- Interpretation of the Lough Neagh Discovery Centre including exhibiitons.
- Supporting schools and groups in the Craigavon Borough on a variety of sustainable development projects.
The Museum Service is responsible for the following:
- Waterside House, including the Philip B. Wilson local history library.
- Enterprize Barge, a renovated sand barge, open to the public
- Moneypennys Lockhouse, based on the Newry– Portadwon Canal
- Reminiscence projects
- Learning and outreach programmes
Lough Neagh Discovery Centre
Caters for 90,000 visitors per year and includes the Loughside Café, a well stocked gift shop and three conference rooms. The Discovery Centre is also the Head Quarters for Leisure Services staff.
Lagan Canal Restora"on Trust, a partnership organisation working towards the restoration of the Lagan Canal from Belfast to Lough Neagh. The Trust staff are based at the Lough Neagh Discovery Centre.