What is Fly Tipping ?
Fly-tipping is the illegal, deliberate dumping of waste on public or private property.
It includes everything from black bin bags to large quantities of commercial and domestic waste.
Fly-tipped waste is often found in areas such as lay-bys, car parks or on private land. Also on country roads, cycle paths and other areas, often hidden from public view.
It's a serious offence, with fines up to £2,500 upon conviction in court.
Dumped waste includes:
- domestic waste
- garden waste
- large domestic items such as fridges and mattresses
- clinical waste
- waste from construction sites
- demolition and excavation rubble.
- commercial waste
Fly-tipping is a problem because:
- it costs a considerable amount of public money every year to clear and it's taxpayers and private landowners who pay
- it's dangerous to people and wildlife
- it damages the environment
- it spoils the enjoyment of our towns, villages and countryside
- it undermines legitimate waste businesses because illegal operators undercut those operating within the law
- areas which are frequently fly-tipped may see property prices go down and local businesses may see a loss in trade
How to report Fly-tipping
If waste is deposited on private land it is the responsibility of the land owner to have the materials removed and legally disposed off.
Fly-tipping on public land is dealt with by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) and Craigavon Borough Council. Generally Craigavon Borough Council would investigate incidents involving up to approximately a small trailer load of waste. You may report fly-tipping by contacting us. Alternatively you can report an incident by telephoning 028 3833 9031.
Larger incidents should be reported to the NIEA. They can be contacted at:
Gasworks Business Park
Tel: 028 9056 9453
Refuse in back yards/gardens
If you are concerned about a build up of refuse in a neighbour’s garden you should contact the Environmental Health Department on 028 3831 2400
There is no reason for anyone to fly-tip waste materials. Craigavon Borough Council operates a bulky waste collection service for the removal of large items such as fridges, freezers, furniture etc. Telephone 028 3833 9031 for more information or to book a collection.
We also have two Civic Amenity and Recycling Centres at Fairgreen, Portadown and Tandragee Road, Lurgan where items can be taken for disposal.
Help us to keep CRAIGAVON CLEAN
All information will be treated confidentially.
Remember it’s your environment
Click Here to report Fly-Tipping